Saturday, August 05, 2006


Wings for Sale ~~ anna hood

The ad read: Wings
slightly used

and my common
or uncommon sense flew
out the window to the cliff
by the sea
where I met him

fluttering down
his white wings rouged
with evening light.
He was singing like Frank
Come fly with me, come
fly, we’ll fly away
and although he didn’t have
Frank’s voice he did
have blue eyes.

I examined the construction
- no fool I -
the feathers were strong.
What sort are these, I asked.
Swan, he replied,
and he showed me how secure
was his wax, his bindings
of silk.

He cautioned me
about the sun
about the damp
then bid me jump
into the darkening fields
of sky and flap
and flap.

The setting sun stroked
me with orange fingers
planted white feathers
on my shoulders
and I bit the wind
with my black beak
and rose into the silvery night
and never looked back.





5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh God, this is gorgeous!

I want to see all your poems published in a book, with glossy photos beneath them or on the page next to them, in a leather binder that will last and last.

Beautiful!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Kajgreb said...

I often have dreams of flying. I'll meet you there soaring beyond the physical into a new world

7:11 PM  
Blogger anna said...

my {{friends}}
thanks you for reading and your kind comments.
Kaj I'll meet you at 3. I'll wear my green coat.

Shadow perhaps one day a publisher will come and knock on my door and say, 'You write poems? We want 'em.' (grin)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

There was a legend once - about such a prince.
You bind them well.

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have done Icarus proud! I hope you touched down before the sun did its thing.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home