Thursday, July 20, 2006

If I were a Soprano ~~ anna hood


If I were a soprano
I’d sing for you, O Mio Babbino
Caro, I’d wrap my silver voice around you,
lift you into the swell
of a high C, my dress swirling
around us, a froth
grey-green chiffon
the great whales in chorus
dolphins walking on water.

The earth would try to tie us
down, she’d wrap us in chords
of gravity, press us into a cameo
of amber light but we’d trick her,
we’d slip off the edge of Peru
on an arpeggio of pure crystal
sound, the melody carrying us
into the sky where we’d spin,
my sweetheart we’d spin and spin,
molto allegro on treble cleffs
your pocket watch swinging in perfect time
our feet dancing on sharp flats.

I’d steal your breath when you tasted
my song, when your fingertips touched a note
the key of E, you’d stir the west wind.
We’d spin the globe, you and I
our voices shattering stars. In Calcutta and Cairo,
Hanoi, Moscow, Ottawa, even the city of angels
would look up, listen, as we showered them
with sequins.

The night would shiver if I were a soprano.
But I’m not a soprano; my mouth isn’t full
of music, only words
to say, I love you.












4 Comments:

Blogger Dafath said...

lucky man
your poems have become exquisites
like rasberries with wild aroma
still clinging to them

10:43 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Again Jason, many thanks!
and Bear, your response is better than the poem (g)

5:33 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Ah, Louise, rapturous praise
over this musical poem.
Thanks so much for stopping by
I hope you are humming O Mio
Babbino Caro

11:58 AM  
Blogger Kajgreb said...

I remember this poem in a dream.
The music of the spheres transformed into spears to pierce my heart.

Kaj

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home