Sunday, December 10, 2006

Forests for Bernita ~ anna hood ~

Last night as I lie
all snugged up in my envelope
of down and silk, I decided
to visit the green vistas
of my mind. It’s been awhile.
I’d track down Diana
or Artemis or whatever she calls herself.
(that girl has a dozen names)
She hunts in the East quadrant;
we’d catch up on things.

Imagine my surprise
read that Dismay! or even Horror!
when I found no wild green forests
no flowing streams
or cypress. No stags, No does
just a barren place
of rock and heat and dust.

But Diana was still there racing
her 2 fleet desert hounds,
her Salukis, the pale bitch
Dawn, the dark male Dusk.
My god, those names! I used to think
use a little originality
but over the years, well
I’ve grown used to them.

Anyway I found her Diana
or Artemis
at the southernmost tip of Ursa Major
She pointed a finger at me
(she’d had time for a manicure, I noticed)
‘This is all your fault,’ said she.
‘Why mine?’ I queried, all innocence.
‘Do you think this place stays green
and lush without some upkeep?
Do some homework.
Quit reading that mystery junk
read something worthwhile
or pick up a paintbrush
for god sake.

The dogs pranced and tugged
snapping at the bear
ear leathers whipping, tail feathers flipping.
And then she was gone
just like that, never looking back
leaving me wondering
Is this the end?
But after a bit
I noticed in the cup
her heel had made
the soil had grown moist
and tiny seedlings
were stretching up
up into the light.

so maybe not.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dafath said...

anna

i have read most of your posts (including this one)
i remember the one about your parents teasing then going upstairs then mcdonalds for dinner;
is a beautiful human memory of adoration
is hard to respond to the rape except that everyone is right and your poetry has become world class, a rhapsodic note.

hope you are well.

in atlanta, a

8:19 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

~laughing~
See, Anna. Told you!

9:37 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Thanks Bear. Hope all is well with you. Pat is always in my thoughts; hope she is well.

Bernita hah! yep you did!
Such a fun poem to write.
thanks for the inspiration

11:42 AM  
Blogger EA Monroe said...

Hi Anna. I read your words and feel refreshed. Thanks!

12:21 PM  
Blogger anna said...

hey E A
ellie annette?
eton amelia?
ester agnes?
ebony arguela?
hell I don't know
but thanks for stopping by
glad you got refreshed (g)

1:35 PM  
Blogger S.L. Corsua said...

A fantastic read. Blurted out a chuckle when I read about Diana's manicure. (I wonder if she's had her hair "done," too. I imagine the curls... Haha.)

A wildly entertaining narrative poem. Thank you for sharing it.

Cheers.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Saaleha said...

The power of imagination. This one was lovely. Reads like a lyrically written tale.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I have a car called Artemis...

Love the hope and the humour in this poem, despite all the odds, Anna.

Great stuff, as always!

2:11 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Soulless, thanks for visiting
and yes of course Diana has her hair done - all that hunting makes for messy hair (g)

Saaleha, yep imagination is a great thing - I've been neglecting mine of late. Thanks as always!

And my favourite Chick !! Our vehicles also have names although not nearly as imaginative as yours. The latest is Tiny Man.
Goodness Gracious aren't you worried about being out and about.
Free Range is the fashion this year and well you know about those
others ::: shiver

2:56 AM  
Blogger anna said...

thanks Jason for reading.
yes sprouting heel prints is quite a picture hahaha!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

A good thinking poem, Anna.

7:23 PM  
Blogger anna said...

yes Susan, I wrote this after
reading Bernita's blog one morning. It seemed my head was completely empy! haha
it probably is
thanks for going back
you are the sweetie pie of all sweetie pies

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home