Friday, December 01, 2006

The Sock Monkey and The Ballerina ~ anna hood ~


The sock monkey had been asleep
for a long long time.
He didn’t know exactly how long
but he knew it was very, very long.
But he hadn’t been alone. Oh no.
Miss Minette the most beautiful ballerina
in the whole wide world was sleeping
right there beside him.
The sock monkey loved Miss Minette!
He didn’t mind that she was nearly bald
and that her tutu was raggedy.
She was kind and sweet
and she always made him laugh.

And Miss Minette didn’t care
that he was missing an eye.
She often told him he was her knight
in shining armour. The sock monkey
didn’t know what shining armour was;
he only knew it was something good.

One day, so very long ago, Emily
had hugged him and wrapped him
in a fluffy blanket and gently
put him into the box beside Miss Minette.
“Go to sleep now.”

Before they went to sleep they talked
about Emily, how they loved her
long silky blonde hair and
how her giggle made them happy.
They said, “There is nobody
in the whole wide world
who smells as sweet as Emily.”

One morning, after so very long,
the Sock-Monkey felt himself moving.
“It's time. Miss Minette, wake up!”

Then, the box-top was lifted
and the darkness disappeared.
Emily was there; she was all grown up!
“I have somebody I want you to meet, but first
we must get you ready.”
And she sewed shiny black button-eyes
on the Sock-Monkey and dressed Miss Minette
in a frilly new pink tutu.

This is Katherine,” she said, and she put them
into a cradle with a brand new baby.

“She’s beautiful, don’t you think?”
asked the Sock-Monkey.

Miss Minette agreed, “Yes. She smells sweeter
than anybody in the whole wide world and her hair
is just like mine.”

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Anna - that was just gorgeous. I'm reminded of so many stories of toys coming to life. I'm reminded of my own old toys and the life that I still sense in them. I often think that when you have a best loved toy that you've spent hours sharing your secrets with, that that toy gains life and becomes alive just like Sock Monkey and Miss Minette.

10:31 AM  
Blogger anna said...

ah thanks atyllah! one of my favourite stories is The Velveteen Rabbit and I still have Jocko my old sock monkey that a favourite aunt made me when I was 5.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

I'm lost in my toybox again.
Everything bad has gone away.
Thank you, Anna, I needed this
narrative chime more than ever today.
lots of love

6:40 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Susan, glad all the boogie men
have gone away.
as always thank you!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Ah... sweet.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Roberta said...

Now, if we could just find an artist, perhaps a painter to do the illustrations, I believe this would make a lovely childrens book.

Hmmm..

5:53 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Thanks Bernita
and Roberta, ah yes if we could
just find an artist(g)
thanks as always for stopping by!

6:31 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Very nice, Anna. :)

8:14 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Jeff, sweet little boy picture!
thanks so much for reading but especially to take the time to leave a comment!

9:04 AM  
Blogger apprentice said...

Your writing seems very pure and gentle.

We share the same name, although I have a middle name too and Hood was my maiden name. It felt funny seeing the name tagged to something I had no knowledge of, if that makes sense?

4:28 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Welcome apprentice! Don't be deceived. You've just caught me at a soft moment
Thanks for stopping by and reading and especially for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it. and yes I understand about the name bit, there's a couple around here that makes me do the same

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only person in the blogosphere who has no idea what a sock monkey is?! But apart from that, a great narrative!

12:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

lehane, it is not surprising you don't know about the sock monkey.
They have been on the endangered list for years.
thanks! for stopping by.
it is always appreciated

6:06 AM  
Blogger Saaleha said...

That was sweet. Lovely.

10:50 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Thanks Saaleha, I love kid's stories, used to write quite a few of them.

5:47 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Jason, once again thanks so much
for taking the time to read and especially to comment!!
I love this little story
Glad you liked it too.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home