Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Swimming to Peru ~~~ anna hood ~~~

Last night I was dreaming
or perhaps I was writing
a poem about swimming
in the river
your river that cuts
the marble hills in two.
(They say it flows all the way
to Peru) You were there
promising me a ride
on your boat, Queen Mary
tied to the dock below
the big house, Alcatraz
hunkered down behind sentinel pines.
Look up. Look way up.
Your mother's there working
lurking on her web
hair battleship grey
blue blood beating her temple
lips thinning to nothing
against her serrated tongue
splintering her martini
-very dry dear with a twist-
glass.

Anyway in this dream - or poem -
I was swimming
shiny phosphorescent as a rainbow
trout chasing the silver spoon
your threw
spinning twisting
snaking breaking
the water where money flowed
where I swam.
I rose to the bait
didn't see the line
but felt the bite
like a black widow's
when you bagged me.

Damn Incas.

8 Comments:

Blogger Roberta said...

Damn those Incas.

This is pure magic.

Anna, I wonder, when you write do you feel like you are painting an emotion with words? Just a question, because when I write my poetry, I feel like I'm adding brush strokes to emotions that are there, but need fine tuning.

4:15 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Roberta, brushstokes on emotions?
It sounds like you have more of a poetic soul than I have (sigh)

Mine are mostly little dribbles of thoughts from months of journals that one day I scramble into a poem

Then, I add words. I take out words. I change words. I change line breaks. I punctuate. I take out all the punctuation. I swear.
Some get done quick
Sometime I leave them for months - Some I've left for years.

thanks sweetheart for always reading - always

7:13 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Dearest Anna,

What pleasure your post gave me this morning. As Roberta says, 'pure magic.'
I want to steal your beautiful poetry, Anna.
And run away with them to where I can swing them up high...perhaps, somewhere where there are stars.

big hug

9:29 PM  
Blogger Dafath said...

anna

your poetry has become world class
out distancing mary oliver.
you are my favorite.
it is a wonder to correspond with you.

we leave friday morning. the chemo has ended. alas.

a

2:55 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Pure seduction...

6:12 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Susan, you make my heart sing with your comments. I am glad you like
my silly little poems.

Bear, comparing me with Mary Oliver!! - good grief but what a wonderful compliment. Glad the chemo is over for Pat. I hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii.
best wishes to Z & A

Bernita - ah those golden handcuffs
Thanks to the bunch of you for taking the time - it is most appreciated!!!

10:25 AM  
Blogger anna said...

thanks Jason! What a wonderful response. I always look forward to your visits.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Saaleha said...

Anna, your poetry is unique. After Susan's yours is the toughest blog to comment on.
The imagery is fresh, vivid. The words don't dawdle. Lovely.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home