Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Herbivores ~~ anna hood ~~

He’s running again
the man on the TV.
I don’t pay him much mind
he’s been on before
when I’ve been busy
with my lunch
a magazine, the newspaper
but today as he’s running
there’s something …
and I watch.

He’s not fit, not in runner’s gear
splashy in bright neon
no expensive shoes.
He looks like somebody’s dad
a little fat, a little bald
and yet he’s running
as if he’s a deer

and out of the corner
of his herbivore eyes
he sees the lions

and he is running
as if he’s a lamb
again those herbivore eyes
see the wolves.

He’s running
as if the dark might
swallow him whole.

And I’m watching now
as he runs
runs runs
through junkyards of dead
cars and graveyards
past churches
and shops and schools
by train tracks huffing and puffing
his way past
shoppers or walkers, children
in strollers running and running
and I’m watching
him run run run.

Then the announcement:
‘Most sufferers of ALS lose
the use of their legs in two years.
What would you do?’

I’d run.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Roberta said...

>>I’d run.<<

Sure as shootin'! I'd be running right along beside you!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Dearest Anna,
What a truly creative idea for a poem. And brilliantly written as always.
Not fair! Not fair!
Big kiss.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Saaleha said...

wonderfully done, as always!

10:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Potent poem, Anna. Really well done.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Dafath said...

thought i'd been caught

2:37 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Well done, Anna!

5:53 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Jason, you have me laughing so hard and you an official of the court !!! thank you so much for reading. You always make my day.
and a 'special thanks for taking the time to read all those old posts... a confidence builder for sure.

Roberta, I can't imagine a crueler disease than this. My god!


Susan, we have to take inspiration from where we find it. Big Kiss backatcha!

Saaleha, as always so good to see you. thank you!

Atyllah, thank you, your comments always get to the heart of the matter.

Bear, I could never catch you. You're way too clever for this
little word scribbler.

Bernita, as always big thank you!
You are often in my thoughts
you and the big cat. Hugs!

6:10 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Very nice, Anna! Excellent work!

4:18 PM  
Blogger anna said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:35 AM  
Blogger anna said...

thanks Jeff for stopping by
always nice to see your smiling face!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Dear Anna,
Just wanted to say this morning, thank you for being a stalwart supporter of my work.
Really appreciate it.
much love

9:03 PM  
Blogger Holly Kennedy said...

Oh, Anna, this is just beautiful Thank you for posting it.

(BTW, when I read "sometimes I fly kites" on your profile, I smiled and felt a stab of envy for your serene outlook on life.)

8:09 AM  
Blogger apprentice said...

Yes, great hook in this piece.
It reminds me of a line in Snow Patrol's "Run".

Degenerative illnesses are so cruel, and often unsung.

8:44 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Susan it is my pleasure!

Holly how nice to see you and what a nice comment, as for the kites we live in the place for them! EEK!

Anna, I know there are some horrific diseases out there but Als I think is one of the most cruel.

Thanks so much gals for stopping by

11:00 AM  
Blogger S.L. Corsua said...

Ingenious. Inspired words written here. And the ending -- what an eye opener!

^_^ Be blessed.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

So when will you run to us with another of your delightful poems?

Yoo-hoo, Anna!...

9:11 PM  
Blogger anna said...

soulness, big hug and thank you.

Susan, blogger is being very difficult .. but soon dear one
soon

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home