Saturday, September 02, 2006

Come Visit Me ~~ anna hood

Come visit me here
on the Island we'll sit
under the overhang
of the back veranda
where citronella candles gutter
in their own melt
in widowed saucers
and pickle jar lids
in red and white soup cans
where overhead burned out stars
implode undetected
by the radar of swooping
brown bats

Come to me when
darkness falls
when spiders are busy
weaving webs of dew
the dog will snore
under the porch swing
the river will reach her arm
into the baywhere fisher boats
tug crusty tethers
you'll swallow salt
swallow the silence
the scent of the flowering
mock orange bush
my grandmother planted
swallow my neighbours'
bar-b-q smoke
they'll invite you over

I don't like Toronto hot
with noise melting black tar
roads thick with cars
windows up ACs blasting
stereos blaring
dead elms
and exhaust fumes
What do you know
city slicker
of freshly mown hay
sweet clover where red hens
strut and cluck
scratch for beetles
of horses racing snorting
pawing red clay roads
and cows chew cuds
chlorophyll green?

Come visit me
on a soft Island night
you can return the book
I loaned you
ten years ago.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kajgreb said...

I am on my way. I hope the relatives are gone especially the hairier ones. Should I bring a generator or porta potty? I'm just a city boy.

Kraj

6:56 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

"widowed saucers..."

I know this place in my heart's eye.
Thank you.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anna, you make it all sound like such a different life -- a long ago life. I love these images, of softened landscapes and neighbors and snoring dogs. Absolutely wonderful!

7:00 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Grebja, bring all - Hairy legs isn't here - new baby!

Bernita, thanks again for stopping by, I hope this made you think of home.

Jas, it is a different place. Thanks as always for stopping by

11:34 AM  
Blogger Roberta said...

I'm leaving today. Should be there this evening. Put the pot on!

7:01 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Roberta, the kettle is on, there's a roast in the oven. Hurry please
Can you make the gravy?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hello Anna,
Now I have come to visit you.
Your poem is beautiful and suddenly reminded me of Joan Baez.
Glad you like Arundhati Roy.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi again Anna,
Thank you so much for coming by.
The sketches are from Old-Time Clip Art.
I have linked you to my blogroll. Hope you don't mind.
Here's looking forward to your next post.
love

4:20 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Well Susan Abraham,how absolutely wonderful for you to visit again.
Of course I don't mind being added to your blog roll.
This blogging is a truly wonderful thing. So many interesting people from all over the place.
You are one of them!
(((Hugs)))

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home