Friday, October 20, 2006

Since then ~~ anna hood

Since then
the object of night
is to simply get through.
No spinning
no rearing, no prancing
a wild mustang
hooves sparking
a stone mountain.
These nights not even the gentle cantor
of a golden mare.
Not for me sleep walking
in a sheet of memories.

Two-thirty I wake
with an explosion
of champagne bubbles
on my tongue a cloud
of jasmine perfume in my hair.
It's only a dream
a dream of champagne
flutes on balconies
balconies draped in flowers
drenched with the sound
of horns
the sound of the French Quarter
at midnight.
Dinner at NOLA's.
Do you remember I licked
whipped cream
from your fingers.
We were young then.

Five o'clock the first
whistle of a bird.
You're beside me
your face creased
by the spread.
Lashes thick as a girl's
hide your eyes
hide your lies.
I could almost
love you again
almost
but I move away
quietly wary as the vixen
who comes for my offerings
of kitchen scraps.
Quietly I move away
on the ends
of my scarlet toes,
no longer young but then
who is?

Only her.

7 Comments:

Blogger Roberta said...

Anna. Anna.

I have no words. You have left me completely speachless with this one.

I do have a tear. It's taken almost 30 years to develope.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

How romantic, Anna and then there's that lovely Joan Baez feeling again...

love

7:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Anna, what a beautiful poem, what a sadly potent ending. This is utterly stunning. You create both beautiful imagery and startling drama.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

The saddest thing of all.

11:26 AM  
Blogger anna said...

thanks everybody:
Jason, so nice of you to stop by
and always with such wonderful comment.
Roberta, you know I am one of your biggest fans. Thank you.
Susan, the eternal optimist. You can always find the rainbow.
Atylla you always know the right thing to say!
Bernita do you think betrayal is the saddest thing? I think perhaps yes.

Okay you guys, I am off to Niagara Falls for a few days. I can't decide whether to go over the falls in a barrel or not. If you don't ever hear from me again you'll know I opted for the rapids. (g) behave yourselves while I am away.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Saaleha said...

Oh Anna, that was touching, moving. So powerfully worded. And oh so sad. Well done!

1:44 AM  
Blogger Dafath said...

Anna

There are times here
when if you ride the black Mustang
down Abernathy a mere 2 miles
you can see the Stone Mountain

and out front in the spring and early summer the white jasmine blooms before the dogwood

and in the cd Satchmo sings The Boy from New Orleans
and Cream The Sunshine of your love:

Everything's a goodbye, souade the Portguese say, the longing for the impossible return.

how nice, though

a

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home