Friday, September 15, 2006

Self Portrait ~~ anna hood

I am swimming
in my self portrait
swimming in a navy blue sea blue
green with icebergs.
Someone once called them cathedrals
of the deep. It wasn't me
although I wish it was. Probably Merwin
it sounds like him.

Around me the navy sea bristles
with the clash of Viking swords.
Thor sends boxcars of sound
swinging from his giant hammer
beating time with whale songs
belugas, the white singers
canaries of the St Lawrence
heavy with toxins
heavy with warning
sweet faced Belugas
singing their song.

Above me
in an aura borealis sky
the dog star, Sirius
migrates south across
the rainbow bowl of the sky
vibrating with the trumpets
of swans, and the whistles
of swans, and the mute
swans who do not speak
except with their singing
wings.

In this self portrait
I am swimming
Icebergs melting
onto my dining room floor.

5 Comments:

Blogger Roberta said...

Oh Anna, how lovely.
Having seen your artistic style, I can see the painting in my minds eye.

How endearing this is!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is absolutely breathtaking Anna.

Did you rework this poem? I seem to remember reading something similar, but the last stanza is unfamiliar.

Either way, the images you pen are so eloquent, so beautiful.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Oh, the swans...
Your use of ancient symbols rips reality.

6:07 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Thanks Roberta, having seen my artistic side, this probably gave you a huge chuckle!
Jas, this was part of a poem you and I did for an exercise, I think. It's been lost since the huge crash. as always thank you.
Bernita, HUGE thank you for stopping by and reading and of course taking the time to comment! I Know how busy you are

3:53 AM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi Anna,
This is the second one i'm reading after the one above.
Just as beautiful & breathtaking!
More and more splendid pictures in my mind, too!
love

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home