Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Wind Chimes ~~ anna hood

Remember Saree,
remember nights after he'd gone
how you'd perch high
above, on your balcony in the trees
and whistle, 'Coast is clear. Come over.'
and I'd come

Taking the stairs two
at a time. For a moment, just
a moment, in the liquid
green tree-top, our lips
would print secrets on crystal
glasses and we'd swirl
wine red as Satan. Horned
owls would listen and somewhere far
off in the night a wild dog
would bark. Later

We'd lie
on your smooth white bed and eat
biscotti. You'd feed me bits
of wine drenched cookies - I'd suck
your fingers while we listened to the dead
singer you liked wailin' bluesy
from the radio, her whiskey voice circling
the ceiling with painted gold stars, mixing
with our smoke, her magnolia voice dripping
onto us, onto the white ironed sheets. Your leg
on mine. Cinnamon on cream.

It's been twenty years. Twenty
years since you fed me cookies
soaked in wine. Twenty
years since those tree-top nights.
I still want you.

8 Comments:

Blogger Roberta said...

This left me breathless!

Intimate enough to make me feel as if I were a voyuer. As if I had stumbled upon the pair and quietly watched them from the shadows.

Every phrase, every nuance of this is absolutely perfect. A secret. A desire.

WONDERFUL!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Once more, Anna, Joan Baez comes immediately to mind on reading this.
How vivid the imagery and call of the senses to sights, scents and tastes.
My favourite being "Cinnamon on Cream."
A classy poem!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Ache of memory.

6:42 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Roberta, Susan and Bernita
thanks so much for stopping by and reading.
Roberta, such a wonderful comment,
just the reaction I was hoping for
Susan, to be mentioned in the same sentence as Joan Baez is a compliment indeed.
and bernita you are one of the smartest gals I know. I read your blog often but you guys are way more clever than I (groan)

Saree is a favourite character of mine - a bad girl - I've used her often in short stories

3:56 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Pfui.
You are a brilliant poet.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Kajgreb said...

I want to be him.

6:15 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Pfui??!! Laughing so hard here
I haven't heard this in years.
fooey? nope. phooey? nope. pfui? yep that's the right one. Bernita I knew you were a smart gal
and Kaj, I want to be 'her'
these is 2 gals (g)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Saaleha said...

Wow. That was stunning. You could feel the anticipation, taste the biscuits, hear the owl. Such an intimate picture. and you most certainly could feel the lingering desire.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home