Tuesday, September 19, 2006

4:30 AM ~~ anna hood

The wind’s sharp elbows
rips open the envelope of sky
ruffles the neck feathers of
crows that are strung
along the branch of the old white ash.
They’re watching
eyes glinting like mad Russians
waiting for dawn, waiting
to pick the bones of the careless.
An old tom passes, dragging
his shadow through the greasy yellow light
that spills off the back porch.

The crows watch over the woman
prowling before first light
her chenille robe dripping dew
dripping smells, blood and puke, piss
liquor.
Her face a watercolour, smashed rubies
blue and green, indigo.
Overhead an owl carries a small piece
of pulsing grey fur.

Inside he’s sleeping
all snug in his nest his face
as creased and folded as a lizard.
His dragon
tattoo curled around his throat.
Uncut. Unhurt.
Sleeping the sleep of the just.
Easy for him.
Yes, easy for him.

‘Don’t cry. Don’t,’
she whispers, lips puffed.
Then she bends and throws a pebble.
Dawn breaks into tiny pieces
of shiny black birds.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Anna - what a dramatic and powerful poem. I loved the imagery of the first verse, I could just see the crows, harbingers of death, perched on the branch.
And then that second verse - gut-wrenching, dramatic stuff.
It reads like a short story with such potent words and so contained.
Well done!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Saaleha said...

Dawn breaks...birds

My favourite lines. A wonderful poem. Evokes such vivid images. Strong, painted in broad strokes of the most artistic colour blends.

12:04 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Hi Atyllah - pronunciation please?
at I lah? Aty lah? I am pleased you can see my crows but then I guess a chick chick would. thanks so much for stopping by!!

and Saaleha - pronunciation please
sa Le ah? sa Lay ha? again thank you so much for you wonderful comment.

a fan of you both

12:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anna, I am once again amazed by your ability to conjure such strong imagery, to evoke such emotion from a mere few lines of poetry. Nothing "mere" about this though. It's absolutely perfect.

The song lyrics from "Memory" kept going through my mind as I read this. Have you heard it? From the musical Cats. Here is a stanza:

Memory
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

It is especially powerful when you can hear a melody behind the words of poetry you are reading. Excellent!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Kajgreb said...

I can tell you are an artist for your words are vivid colors in my mind.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Vivid images Anna & in those dark crisp images, an assortment of secret stories with which to catch the imagination.

love

8:37 PM  
Blogger anna said...

hey Jas, sure I know Memories,
got all the music to Cats and play it often. (now I'll be singing it in my mind all day hehe) thanks as always,
greb, my old buddy! what a wonderful comment. thank you
and Susan Susan, what a dear you are, I can't think of a better compliment than to set someone's mind flying.

3:50 AM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Strong and vital.
You have an image gift that links symbol to scene.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Roberta said...

Anna,

This is wonderful. I love that last line.

I would say more, but it's all been said by the others.

You are my favorite author. ;)

6:30 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Bernita, it really means a lot to me when you visit. I think you know what you're talking about!
God I hope so!

Roberta, We have known each other a long long time. You've been a favourite of mine forever.
Thanks!! my sweetheart

8:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

:-) Atyllah the Hen, as in Atilla the Hun - at il lah

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home